Thursday, February 20, 2014

We are all on the Front Lines

Sometimes when you start delving into the numbers of human trafficking, the bitter realities, it can seem daunting. Some days I wake up and update my blog and see all the great things that are happening in the movement and I just feel inspired. Other days I don't think I'm doing much at all. I try to do all I can but there's not much money to give and I can't move out to the border and work in the field so I feel like I can't be on the front lines of the issue. 

Wherever you live you are on the front lines of this issue. 
Living in the abolitionist lifestyle feels like you're making deals with yourself to keep yourself from feeling guilty. You buy at thrift stores so that you don't put money directly into the pockets of someone who profits from the slavery of others. You try to buy as local and as green as possible, which is great because it's environmentally friendly too so that's a bonus. But then you have to buy a new piece of electronic hardware or you have to get something that you just can't buy second hand and you start to get overwhelmed. Don't even think about the fact that just buying second hand doesn't mean that it wasn't touched by slaves somewhere in the past.

You start thinking about all of the stats and numbers, how much money is made in the slave trade and how many slaves are in the world today and you stat to feel disheartened. You start to think that if only you moved to Nepal or some African city you could be on the front lines actually helping people. 

But then I have to remember that there are no front lines to the struggle against slavery. Slavery happens 365 days a year in every state, country, and continent. The biggest weapon that you have as an abolitionist is your life, your voice, and your choices. Everyday that you live a lifestyle that won't allow slavery in it, speak out against slavery in your world, and choose to vote against anything that will allow it in your society then you are a warrior on the front lines of this issue. Embrace it and then struggle on. I may not think I'm making a difference but I am living the difference every day. Be the change you want to see in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment