Friday, February 7, 2014

Slavery happens 365 days a year.

So if you follow abolitionist news like me your probably heard two things right after the call to action to end trafficking at the super bowl. You probably heard this article here from Cracked.com or got a link in the Polaris Project weekly emails that talked about how it's a myth that the Superbowl actually is a mecca for human trafficking. I'll have to admit that I did feel like a heel. I had just written a blog post calling people to pray during the Superbowl for all of the girls that were going to be on the streets that night. I was half tempted to print a retraction.
365 Days in All 50 countries 

Then I saw the article from the FBI. There were actually tears of joy that threatened to streak down my face as I was reading. Imagine, 16 children who were missing and exploited for sex are finally going home. The struggle isn't over. There is going to be a hard road of recovery left to go but their time in slavery is over. The FBI partnered with over fifty agencies to execute this operation. And reportedly a lot of the pimps were bringing girls into the New Jersey area specifically for the Superbowl.

So it got me to thinking. Maybe the Super Bowl isn't the single largest trafficking event in the U.S. but the fact that they were able to catch at least 45 pimps that were going to exploit the opportunity means that there is still work to be done. Most of those girls were not taken just for the express purpose of being sold at the Superbowl. We need to be vigilant everyday in all of our communities and aware of the slavery that can take place in our everyday lives and how it affects us. It's effects are felt in everything we do and we need to know what our response to it will be.

My response was my play and the work and the research that I continue to do to make a difference. If you want to know where to start read my play here and find your own answer for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment