Wednesday, January 22, 2014

What if all My Arts Collided

So it hit me like a 2x4 to the head. Well it actually was a 2x4 to the head. I was looking over all of the scrap wood I had for a cigar box guitar that I have planned and all of sudden a piece of red oak fell from the wood rack and hit me on the head. I'm fine I swear but with the impact came an epiphany.

Musician
For several years I've been a jack of all trades when it came to the theater and arts. I know a little music,  dance, art, woodworking, and lots of theatre. And for a long time I've been treating all of those things like they were separate arts. Like there were a whole bunch of different Ricky artists in one person and if I wanted to follow those interests I have to have about four separate careers and four separate resumes. And then came that bump on the head and then I thought about two of my favorite artists, The  Bread and Puppet Theatre and  Carl Hancock Rux.
Actor

The Bread and Puppet Theatre combines Puppetry, dance, music, and mime into this amazing self-sustaining art tour-de-force. Carl Hancock Rux has not only impacted the world with his solo performance and plays but he's also released albums and written novels among many great projects. There's no set rule that you have to stick to just one art form and that you can't mix and match. What if my music, plays, acting, and design could come together to form a creative whole?  What if my true calling is in Applied Theatre and Interdisciplinary arts?

Designer/Carpenter
I believe that true artistic yearning is a breath that you can never breathe deeply enough. An itch that you can never completely scratch. For a while I thought I had to scratch all of my itched separately and resign myself to the fact that I may never get to satisfy them all. But if all of my artistic endeavors collided and I made my own styles and forms why couldn't I be able to shoehorn all of my interests into one?

And the more and more I think of it the more awesome it seems. Watch out everyone... this crash is about to happen!

Playwright/Director 

No comments:

Post a Comment