Thursday, January 16, 2014

Walking to New Jersey and Back

Let me start this off with saying no I'm not that crazy and my girlfriend would kill me before I tried. But I did have a great idea to creatively map out one of my New Years resolutions. A lot of people make that blanket statement resolution to just be healthier or lose a certain number of pounds. But by the end of the day they don't have a real goal and by February they've got a tub of Ben and Jerry's in one hand and a hoagie in the other.

So this year I knew that I wanted to make a goal to be healthier and exercise more but I've crashed on diets before. So this year I wanted to make a goal that was both fun and measurable.

11 Miles down so far only a thousand or so more to go!

And that's when I got the idea to start walking enough miles every day that when I was through at the end of the year I could say that I walked the equivalent of going to New Jersey and back. I went on google maps and found out that a trip to NJ is about 800 miles which means a round trip evens out at 1600 miles. And factoring in the fact that I already walk everywhere I go I only had to walk about an extra three miles a day.

I like this plan because it's fun and challenging but doesn't put me on a rigorous schedule that eats a huge chunk out of my day (or better yet myself). And at the end of the day all of the walking combined with my attempt at keeping to a better diet will help me get to a healthier me in no time. Plus if I only just did half of my goal I'll have "only" done 800 miles and that's a pretty good feat right there.

So what do you think? Have any of the rest of you made healthy goals as part of your new years resolutions? Let hear all about them in the comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment