Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Charles Mee is my Spirit Animal

So pretty soon you will be able to see all of my finished plays on line. Why? Because I want to get produced. I'm following in the footsteps of Jonathan Rand and Charles Mee who first amazed me when I heard their philosophies of why they put their plays online. Let's face it, the idea of writing plays is getting them a production and the first step of getting them a production is putting them into the hands of theatre people and theatre companies that want to produce them. Also of importance is getting them read by an audience that wants to read, see, and produce that work and since most of the world is online I need my plays to be there too!

I think that this is where the new generation of playwrights need to be. I'm not saying that the regional theaters and play competitions and such like aren't valuable but when you're just starting up a lot of people don't want to talk to you. The bigger companies don't want to talk to you unless you have an agent and the new works festivals are interested in producing your world premiere or giving you a reading...but after that you're not new anymore no one wants to pick it up.

All the existing methods of getting your play to production are valid. But the internet and social media is quickly moving toward making those methods obsolete. You don't necessarily need to get your play published to be put in the hands of others. You don't necessarily need to keep mailing your scripts off to festivals and readers to get it in front of people that want  to produce it. So while we keep to the tried and true methods of distributing our new play we need to take a page from the pioneers that have shown us the new ways to make the internet work for us.

So I'm going to ask you, how can the free social media affect how you distribute your plays and get work done? How can you use technology to help you be a better playwright and start making money at it? That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'll let you know what I learn. Be sure to let me know what you learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment