Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Tourettes Tuesday: Tips for Kids Part One


So today for Tourettes Tuesday I'm listing the first half of my tips for kids. Let me say I'm not a doctor and my only expertise in Tourettes comes from having it since I was nine years old. Some of these tips may or may not work for you. But here is the advice that I wish I had when I was a kid. 
Playing really helps my Tourettes a lot.
  1. You are special: You are not "deformed" or a "freak". You actually have something that makes you think better. You think faster, are more creative, and and have no inhibitions. If you were a stereo your volume knob would be jacked all the way up to 11!
  2. Breathe in and breath out: When you're having a bad day focus on taking deep cleansing breath's in and pushing all of your excess energy out. Close your eyes and try to shut everything else out. You can also try to think of pushing all of your energy out through the palms of your hands. Don't ask me why but this helps.
  3. Let yourself decompress: You are going to get overloaded. Sometimes it's going to feel like you have a million things pressing on your shoulders. You need to give yourself extra time to decompress and get ready for the next part of the day. 
  4. Listen to your body's signs: Your Tourettes is going to tell you when it needs to take a break or if you're getting overloaded. Don't try to power through and "tough it out". Listen to your body and understand that you have different limitations than the "normal" people. 
  5. The rage is normal: You feel that you have to shield yourself all the time at school so that the kids don't make fun of you and that the teachers don't bother you. You start to feel that you have to hold it together all the time and when you start to wear at the edges you find yourself lashing out at everyone, especially people that you love. It's normal...remember that it's the anger is okay but dealing with it is not. Remember to let yourself to decompress.
Watch out next week for part two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment