Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Ten things People with Tourettes are tired of hearing!



If I had a dime for every time someone has asked me one of these questions that I tell them I have Tourettes I would be a very rich person.  Feel free to read these so you can be better prepared for your next Tourettes encounter.

Here's the List

  1. "Well I have a friend who's Tourettes is way more severe than yours."
  2. "Can't you just stop?"
  3. "Can you show me a little?"
  4. "Well I read on this (insert website here) that (insert random treatment or medicine here) really works. Why don't you try that?"
  5. "Doesn't it hurt sometimes?"
  6. "Do you prefer to date girls/boys that have TS too?"
  7. "You know the sound that you're making is really irritating. Are you aware of that?"
  8. "So you get to curse whenever you want and say anything you want without getting in trouble. That's the life right there!"
  9. "Why don't you just take the pills? It'll make the Tourettes stop right?
  10. "Maybe you just shouldn't go out anymore."
There are also a lot of disorders that piggy-back with TS. Borrowed from Great Plains Laboratory

Here are the Answers

  1. Would you say that someone who has their right arm amputated at the shoulder is worse off than someone who was amputated at the elbow? No matter what you call them they're still lefties.
  2. In one word: No.
  3. Again in one word: No.
  4. I read up on all of the new theories and treatments. A lot of people with TS do. So what could you tell us that we don't already know?
  5. Yes but not always.
  6. I have once but it's not a must for me.
  7. Yes I am aware. I try to be aware of my surroundings and my effect on people. But if we're in a public place and you don't like to hear me you are welcome to get up and go somewhere else.
  8. No, it's nothing like that.
  9. The pills sometimes lessens the Tics but it also puts you in a haze or makes you drowzy. After a while I decided that I'd rather deal with the TS I grew up with than the side effects of new medications.
  10. I have just the same rights to enjoy public places as much as everyone else. I decided that TS was not going to make me into a hermit and that I was not going to retreat into my shell and keep apologizing for something that's as part of my body as the blood in my veins. If other people don't like it they can deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment