Thursday, May 23, 2013

What Concerns You? Theatre Rant

Today with the May Blog Challenge I'm going to talk about some of the things that concern me in the theatre world. Especially in the field of New Works I have a few pet peeves that really get me pulling my hair. So here are a few of the things that I don't ever want to see again.

Staged readings: Great for development. Bad as end product. Borrowed from  Berkshire Playwright's Lab

  • Playwrights twiddling their thumbs waiting to get "discovered".
  • Theatre purists that refuse to use the internet to display and market their work.
  • Theatre companies that don't have a social media presence.
  • Artists reluctant to embrace the crazy ideas.
  • Staged readings of ten minute plays and one-acts. I mean you could just produce the thing in less time!
  • Playwrights still sending out their plays solely in the mail.
  • Playwrights that act like dictators of their productions like they aren't happy to get any production that come their way.
  • The myth that all good theatre comes from one of the big cities.
  • The myth that all good theatre is "non-profit".
These are the things that just get under my skin a bit. Mainly because I seem to live in this world as a playwright. These are the things that are pulling us down. Now we just have to find the ways to build our way back into a working system. Here's hope for the future!



No comments:

Post a Comment