Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Last Hope For Twenty Miles: A New Play


Now introducing a new play by R. S. Young (you know him as Dr. Fronkensteen). Last Hope for Twenty Miles follows the life of Virginia a girl who just learned that she has nothing tying her to her life. Two boys offer her two different ways out. But the way out isn't all that it was cracked up to be. 

This play marks the end of my "gritty" period of writing. I got so into writing a whole play of anti-glitz and glam. I've moved on now but I still believe that Last Hope has a special place in my heart. I got to play Tanner in my first production and people really loved it. So I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 

Happy Reading!

Vital Info

Cast size: 1F 3M 

Running Time: 60 minutes

Important Note: This play is copyrighted. All productions of this play are subject to a royalty. To get a full copy of the performance script and to inquire about performance rights please contact R. S. Young at fronkensteentheater@gmail.com.

Last Hope for Twenty Miles

Scene 1
Virginia stands on the balcony. She wears work out clothes and high heels. It's midnight. She sits on the balcony and tosses pebbles off the side. She undoes her hair and begins to brush it. There is a radio playing in the background. We hear a motorcycle roaring down the road and headlights flash across the stage. Virginia waves and blows a kiss at it as it passes by.

VIRGINIA:
The wind was a torrent of darkness upon the gusty trees,
The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas,
The road was a ribbon of moonlight looping the purple moor,
And the highwayman came riding--
Riding--riding--
The highwayman came riding, up to the old inn door. He came riding. He came. Where are you?

Tim has entered during this and sits at the base of the steps. He listens, drinking whiskey out of a mason jar. He tries to set the jar down quietly but it slips from his hand and clatters to the floor.

VIRGINIA:
Go home Tim.

TIM
I w-w-was just going home. I was jus... locking everything... I was just locking everything up.

VIRGINIA
I'll lock up, just go home.

TIM
I was thinking the other day that maybe you needed someone around to keep you company, since your pa hasn't been round in a while.

VIRGINIA
He's been dead for three months. Doesn't mean he ran off.

TIM
I thought you might need someone around to protect you.

VIRGINIA
Tim, go home.

TIM
I know I've asked you a lot these days but I guess I can bear to ask it again.

VIRGINIA 
You are dumber than a sack of hammers, I know exactly what you're going to say.

TIM
I know I'm not a rich man but my love is made of pure gold, will you marry me?

VIRGINIA
(In a nasal mocking tone)
I know I'm not a rich man but my love is made of pure gold, will you marry me?

VIRGINIA
You stupid son of a bitch.

TIM
Virginia, I love you. I'd take you home to my farm and take care of you.

VIRGINIA
Ten acres of land with two chickens and a cow on it is not a farm.

TIM
Then I'll sell it and buy you a real house.

VIRGINIA
I wouldn't respect you.

TIM
I don't want your respect.

VIRGINIA
I wouldn't even like you.

TIM
I don't need you to like me either. I just need you to let me love you.
Continue Reading HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment