Monday, April 15, 2013

Theatre Rant: Who Inspires Me

My grandmother inspires me so much. She was one of the first people in my life to see something in me that wanted more, wanted to exceed the status quo. She took me in when my mother's MS got too bad for me to stay with her. She was the first woman in my life that recognized that my Tourettes was an issue and despite what everyone else said got me into a doctor's office to get diagnosed.

My grandmother (left) and me with my mother (right) after my college graduation.


My mother and I have two far different personalities. She is always the practical one, never getting too hotheaded and valuing hard work. If something had to be done it had to be done and whatever work and struggle you had to do you did what you had to do to weather the storm.

I was completely opposite. I'm bullheaded and prefer to treat obstacles with a scorched earth policy. If I can't run around or over the obstacle I'll take a sledgehammer and go through it. Those two outlooks on life made for a lot of tough arguments when I was younger.  But she taught me calmness and determination when you know that you're right. She taught me about generosity and compassion. And I learned over time that under that smooth and calm exterior was someone willing to do anything to protect family and someone tough enough to sacrifice of herself to make sure that her children made it.

When you mess with any of her kids you mess with Mama Bear.

You don't want to mess with Mama Bear.

When I think all of those times when she had to pull out the checkbook when I was sick...or when I had messed up...how many times she without things when me or one of the other kids needed them.  I remember how she stood up to bullies and people that crossed one of her kids.

I'm proud to say that I am one of Mama Bear's kids and hope someday that when I start my own family my kids will have the best Papa Bear ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment