Monday, March 25, 2013

Artist Profile: Everett Robert @eerobert


1.How did you get into what you do?
I've been active in theater since I was in Eighth Grade, and have been for the past 22 years. But I really got serious about my playwrighting when the youth minister at my church asked me to help her write a play in 2005. I got the chance to write and direct some short street theater pieces for a trip to the Philippines in 2006  and then helped edit a friend's plays. I finally got the chance to write my own in January of 2010 when my friend Bill Goodwin needed a one-act children's play for his Spring DramaFest for Junior High students. I stepped up and wrote ALLIE IN WONDERLAND which was produced that March. By January of 2012 it had been published. I continued to write and hone my craft.

Everett Robert borrowed from @eerobert

2. What education have you received and how has it helped you do what you do?
I hold an associates of arts degree in theater from Colby Community College in Colby, KS. I attended Emporia State University in Emporia, KS studying theater, and am currently a student at Fort Hays State University in Hays, KS studying English Education.

3. What's your biggest achievement?
Great question. Since I believe that the goal of every playwright should be PRODUCTION and not necessarily PUBLICATION, getting to see my plays on the stage has been my biggest achievement.
4. What is your biggest goal?
I would love to have a piece performed in New York, Chicago, or DC. I would love to see one of my plays at the Kennedy Center.
5. If you were a piece of furniture what would you be and why?
A bed, because beds should offer comfort, safety, and relaxation.
6. What are you reading right now?
I'm never reading just one thing. I've got a 3 collections of Neil Simon's plays I'm working on, I'm also reading some Eugene O'Neill. I'm also reading Navigating Early by Clare Vanderpool and working through John Scalzi's The Old Man's War books.
7. Who was your biggest mentor?
Richard Groetzinger was my college professor and advisor at Colby Community College. He encouraged me and helped devolp me into the actor I am today.
Borrowed from www.dragynally.com

8. What's your next big project?
One of my goals this year is to write one 10-Minute play a month based on either an existing piece of fiction or on a true story. At the end of the year, I'd like to collect them into a book called "Based on the...". I'm also working on a new children's full-length titled "The Three Challenges of Puss In Boots"
9. If you could give a tip to anyone in your field what would it be?
Never give up never surrender, hone your craft by reading great plays and playwrights, keep writing, but most importantly get involved in theater somehow. I'm a better playwright because I act, I direct, I do fight choreography, I've done set design and poster design. You learn the "art of the stage" by being on the stage.
10. If I gave you a thousand dollars and told you to do anything today to better your business what would you do and why?
I would use it to start a children's theater program arm of my local community theater. I think the best way to grow better adults is by getting kids interested in the arts at an early age.

You can find out more about Everett at his website here.  If you want to get in touch with him here. And be sure to find Emergency Room Production's Facebook here.

No comments:

Post a Comment